What’s in it for you?
Living in a Local community has its perks. Your friends from school or work live nearby, everything is close to home so you spend less money on gas, but the best part, of course, is the shopping. Shopping at Local business certainly has its perks:
- Great discounts if your local.
- Shopping at local businesses can help to increase job openings for students in the area that are looking for work. It also helps fund neighborhood development. You can take part in local events that help support the community itself.
- Spending your money at local businesses, instead of national chain stores, helps the local families and owners stay in business.
There are many local business owners that are immigrants who have moved to the U.S. to start a new life for themselves and their families. Shopping locally not only helps them as a part of the community, but gives them the opportunity for a prosperous life that they may not have been able to have back home. You might even help a family fulfill their own vision of the American Dream.
- Local businesses can better adapt to their customers changing demands than national chains. They have more one-on-one time with their customers.
- Farmers markets are frequent events where you can not only get fresh grown fruit and vegetables, but also locally sourced foods like meats, cheeses, and other items.
No matter where you go to get what you need, whether it’s food or gifts for a birthday, so much can depend on where you shop. You can help a great deal in your community just by knowing where your money goes when you spend it. Next time you go shopping, Think Local First!